Tuesday, January 12, 2010

They Serve Best Who Give Most Of Themselves.

Henry didn't understand why he was always asked to drive the church bus for Vacation Bible School. This was the third summer in a row.
"Lord, You know that I give my best at whatever You tell me to do. But, I'd like to do something else this year. Anyone can drive a bus!" he complained.
I have a reason for everything I do.
Henry knew God's voice, but his dissatisfaction made him pursue the situation further.
"I've driven the bus three summers in a row," he said to Jake, his longtime friend. "I've asked to do other things, but for some reason I'm always given the responsibility of driving the bus!"
"Why don't you ask Charlie, the administrator?" Jake said. "You'd better hurry though, because he's leaving town tomorrow."
"Come in, Henry," Charlie said, shaking his hand. "Have a seat. What can I do for you?"
"Thank you for seeing me on such short notice, Charlie. I've driven the Vacation Bible School bus now for three year. I enjoy it, but I'd like to do something else. I've asked to do other things, but for some reason I'm always assigned to drive. Why? Have I done something wrong?"
"Goodness, no!" Charlie exclaimed in surprise. "I'm sorry, Henry. I thought you knew that the parents and the children specifically ask for you. They've told me you know each child by name, and you make them feel special."
"You sing, make them laugh, and give them treats. You also take time to talk with their parents," Charlie continued. " We've told them that we have other drivers, but they want you."
"But, we want you to be happy. If you'll finish driving this week, I'll get with the board when I return and see what else we have for you to do."
That afternoon, Henry saw David and his mother waiting as he stopped the bus in front of their house. David hurried up the steps and gave Henry a big hug. His mother smiled and said, "We want to thank you for praying for David. When we took him to the doctor today, the ear infection was gone!"
Henry felt tears run down his face. "Lord, thank You for this special opportunity to serve You. Forgive me for making it look small. The rewards are truly great!"

Are you looking for something big to do for God? Maybe the biggest rewards come from doing the small things.
Colossians 3:23-24
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.

Today's devotion.

Lord, please help me to see that any small way I serve other is big in Your sight. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Malaysian time Russian time